do you need polished, thoughtful content on policy and civics?
Are you trying to make an impact with government decision-makers? Want to rally the public around your cause? Looking to amp up your content strategy to show policymakers what you do?
I can help.
I studied public policy and worked in the Canadian House of Commons for a year before realizing I didn't want to work in government or politics. Rather, I want to help organizations doing good work in policy and civics make their case to government and the public.
Since then, I've been writing professionally for seven years. I have deep research skills, creative ideas, and an ability to write thoughtfully about policy and civics.
I have written and edited:
- reports on Canadians’ perceptions of democracy for civics organizations
- op-eds and reports for international development charities to influence government priorities
- toolkits to educate citizens on voting
- primers on electoral systems
- content on how labour policy affects freelancers for a business running an online freelance marketplace
- communication strategies to further healthcare organizations’ government advocacy
- bios for public servants and everyday political citizens
I dig into ministerial mandate letters and scour the news to find the right angle to make your content resonate with policymakers. I translate governmentese into something everyone can understand, to see the impact political institutions have on their lives.
Organizations use my writing to get attention from the right people. With my help, my clients have:
- placed op-eds in prestigious publications, including The Hill Times, The Ottawa Citizen and FastCompany
- developed reports to demonstrate the value of their work to high-level government officials
- submitted articles to the Inter-Parliamentary Union
- been approached by journalists who read about their work
- raised the profile of their work, receiving thousands of views on commissioned articles and blog posts
Whether you need a pithy op-ed, a research-heavy report, a straightforward blog post, or an entire content strategy, I’ll take the time to understand exactly what you need. Then I'll deliver it to you on time and on budget.
Let me use my words to further your cause. Get in touch today.
As a small charity, we have a lot on the go. Allison’s ideas and enthusiasm take us out of the day-to-day and keep our communications on track.
She is creative, diligent, and reliable, and her writing and editing skills make our reports, blog posts, and other content clearer and more compelling.
- Kendall Anderson, Managing Director, Samara Canada
Allison understands her client needs very well, and this is reflected in the the writing she produced for us which required very minimal edits from us. We appreciated Allison always turning quality work around promptly, and would definitely work with her again if the opportunity arises.
- Sally Ding, Communication and Education Coordinator, Elections Ontario
Allison is an accomplished and talented writer, with a real skill for in-depth research, attention to detail, and strong ability to customize her writing style as requested. Allison's writing has continually impressed me and I always enjoy reading new assignments from her.
Allison is a joy to work with, is always prompt and meets all of her deadlines. She brings a lot to the table, and I recommend her highly.
- Heather Ferguson, Content & Email Marketing Team Lead at Main Path
See more client testimonials on my LinkedIn page.
On le blog
- October 2017
- August 2017
- May 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 Here's how to make 2017 happier and healthier
- Nov 30, 2016 The only 25 things you need to do to write better
- Nov 21, 2016 5 easy ways to come up with creative content ideas
- Oct 5, 2016 How to find the right words in times of crisis
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 14, 2016 How to blog if you hate blogging
- Jun 30, 2016 June round-up: what I've been writing, reading and doing this month
- Jun 23, 2016 How to find mistakes in your writing
- Jun 9, 2016 Can we engage? Thoughts on Twitter and life
- May 31, 2016 May round-up: what I’ve been writing, reading and doing this month
- May 26, 2016 Best tools to make you a better writer
- May 12, 2016 Whether it’s blogging or running, do what works for you
- April 2016
- Mar 31, 2016 March round-up: what I’ve been writing, reading, and doing this month
- Mar 21, 2016 Why marketers should read poetry
- Mar 8, 2016 5 reasons I blog -- and an invitation
- Feb 29, 2016 February round-up: what I’ve been writing, reading, and doing this month
- Feb 22, 2016 7 ways to turn your event into content
- Feb 18, 2016 For better copywriting, cut these words: part 2
- Feb 9, 2016 Three ways successful communication is like successful furniture design
- Feb 4, 2016 For better copywriting, cut these words: part 1
- Jan 29, 2016 January round-up: what I’ve been writing, reading, and doing this month
- Jan 28, 2016 Listen.
- Jan 21, 2016 Why your tribes are invaluable
- Jan 11, 2016 Why sharing your idea matters
- December 2015
- Nov 30, 2015 What to do when your entire brand is off-brand